What is Salvecoll®?
An innovative bio-plastic sterile collagen material with fully preserved fibrous structure ensuring regeneration of damaged tissues. The collagen in Salvecoll® is highly purified, type I, native, non-reconstructed collagen of equine (Salvecoll-E®) or bovine (Salvecoll-B®) origin.
How does Salvecoll® work?
Salvecoll® creates a matrix in the injection area that helps the body create fresh self-produced collagen. Subsequently, damaged skin, caused by collagen deficiency as a result of aging, is restored to a natural state.
How does Salvecoll® differ from other products?
The innovative way to obtain the collagen found in Salvecoll® maintains the triple helix structure of collagen fibers by avoiding the use of enzymatic and chemical treatment. This delicate procedure preserves the intermolecular bonds between collagen fibers and provides a high degree of purification of collagen from unwanted substances, including those with allergenic properties. All those properties make the collagen in Salvecoll® closest to human collagen in structure.
Can anyone have Salvecoll® treatments?
No. Not everyone should use Salvecoll®. Salvecoll® should not be used in cases of:
- Known allergic hypersensitivity to equine or bovine collagen
- Autoimmune disorders, including rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, Sjögren’s syndrome and dermatomyositis/polymyositis
- Susceptibility to keloid formation and hypertrophic scaring
- Presence of infection in the area to be treated/injected or the presence of systemic infection
- Presence of tumor in close proximity to area of intervention
- Chemotherapy, radiotherapy or immunosuppression
Are there any other treatment concerns with Salvecoll®?
Some temporary reactions can be expected at the site of treatment/injection of Salvecoll® gel which are usually moderate, resolved by themselves and do not require special medical attention, including: erythema/mild redness (disappearing within 24-48 hours), edema/swelling (disappearing within 24-48 hours), induration (disappearing within 24-36 hours)/ pruritus (disappearing within 24 -48 hours) and bruising/hemorrhages.
Increasing discomfort or swelling, or spreading erythema/redness should be brought immediately to the attention of your physician. It is important that you decide on the best course of action together with your physician based on your medical past, before and after treatment.
Are there any precautions you should consider when using Salvecoll®?
You should remember that:
- The use of Salvecoll® with a synthetic filler is not recommended due to increased risk of infection and topical inflammation with the occasional migration of implanted materials
- The use of Salvecoll® during pregnancy and lactation is reasonable only in cases when the physician believes that the potential benefits of application of Salvecoll® outweigh the risks
Inform your physician if you are taking or have recently used any other medications, including OTC drugs.
Is it really necessary to perform a skin test prior to treatment?
To be absolutely sure that you are not allergic to the collagen contained in Salvecoll®, a skin test in conducted.
Will I feel any pain during treatment?
To avoid any possible discomfort, the physician may apply an anesthetic cream to the area being treated.
What is the duration of a single Salvecoll® treatment?
The duration depends on the type of treatment you are having. It can take between 15 and 60 minutes.
How will I feel after treatment?
Salvecoll® is not felt after treatment, if applied properly. Your daily activities should not be affected in any way.
When will I first start noticing results after treatment with Salvecoll®?
You will see results already from the first treatment. Furthermore, it was clinically proven that best results are visible after 4-8 treatments. Results last between 6 and 12 months.
Where can I find a physician that uses Salvecoll®?
Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will recommend one in your area.